Sunday, November 18, 2012

Divergent

I've heard a lot of hype about Divergent, so I thought that I would like to read it. It is a thick book, but I got through it quickly. I read the entire thing in about a week. It just drew me in.

The story takes place in dynstopian Chigago, where the society there is divided into five factions. There is Amity-friendship, Eurdite-intellegence, Candor-honesty, Abegnation-selflessness, and Dauntless-bravery. You are born into a faction, but at sixteen you can choose to be in another. However, you cannot be with your family again. To help you choose, you take an aptidude test to determine which faction you have the best traits for. When Beatrice takes the test, she shows traits for more than one faction. That means that she is Divergent and considered dangerous. She must choose the one faction that will help her conceal her secret the best, but she also discovers big secrets of others along the way.

There was nothing in the book that I didn't like. A lot of the story is tough, it's not a fairy-princess tale. I thought that I would get bored of that, being the girly-girl I am, but I didn't. As always, there is a boy, Four. But the story between Beatrice and Four is different to me. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll just say that I like how they're set up. I like how all the characters are set up. They're all different and have different personalities. I even like the mean ones! There were no boring parts of the storyline at all. Exciting things were always happening.

I loved reading the book and if you like dynstopian stories, you'll love this. Unlike the other ones, this one sounds more realistic to me. It's like the other dynstopian books, but it's different. There is a sequel, Insurgent, that I'm going to read next. I have to read it as soon as possible or else I'll go crazy! And, as I just discovered, they're going to make a movie out of this, with Shailene Woodley as Beatrice.

Have you read or are you going to read this book? If so, what do you think? What faction do you think you could belong to? (btw, I think I would be in Candor) Tell me in the comments down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment