Friday, September 21, 2012

How I De-Stress

For some reason, I was just so stressed-out today. That inspired me to write a post on how I de-stress.

1. Pick out at least one song that makes you happy and play it. I call them my happy-songs. For example, mine is currently Good Time. My happy-songs are always upbeat. Listen to music period. But your happy-songs are always the most effective in my opinion.

2. Distract yourself. This one is a little more risky. It depends on what you're stressed about. If it's something that has to be done asap, then this would not work. But if it's something that you can do later or get away from, get a book, an i-pod, or something that takes your mind off of what's going on and come back to it later.

3. Get creative! Even if you can't draw well, it will help release it. You can also knit or crochet or whatever hobby you do. Imagine that your stress is going into whatever you're doing and leaving your body to power it. If you're into sports, kick a soccer ball and imagine that your stress is powering it to fly. I like to sew on the machine, so I use a high-speed if I can and think that my stress is going through the pedal and making it go.

4. Try deep-breathing. I know that's been said so many times before, but it's been scientifically proven to work. It stops the chemical in your brain that makes you stress.

5. Create a world in your mind or think of a happy memory or place. Basically, daydream. You will feel happier when you think of that happy place or memory. I created several worlds in my mind. A lot of times, when something happens that stresses me, I transfer that into one of them to create storylines that entertain me.

6. If it's an assignment or something that has to be done very soon, just do it. You will feel so much better afterwards.

7. Talk it out to someone that is willing to listen and take a rant. If nothing else helps, that's what I do.

8. Just start laughing. It will sound fake and weird at first, but it might turn to a real one. Of course, people will think you're crazy, but do we care? Well, let's just say that it's best to do this in private or while watching something funny on tv.

9. Write everything out. Make a checklist. A lot of times, things seem so much more than they actually are. Writing it down, you will notice that it's not a lot.

10. Make a schedule. That way, you have a designated time to confront different tasks. Also add some free time to do whatever. Ignore everything for a half hour or so and just go on YouTube or something. Whatever you want.

So, that's pretty much it. If there's any more that I can think of later, I will edit it in. But these are usually what I do when I'm stressed. This list is not in any particular order, but most of the time I try number one first. But, I hope that this was helpful! If you have any techniques of your own, post them below.

5 comments:

  1. Love the post don't forget I tagged you in a post check it out please respond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm getting there. Thanks for reminding me. I have a couple posts I have to do first, but I will try to post the tag on Monday.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Thank you for posting this! :)

    -Madison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this post! I am bookmarking it!!

    ReplyDelete